A Blog-u-mentary
about one family's experience moving from a
tropical Caribbean paradise
to another type of paradise in the
heart of Provence.

Monday, July 5, 2010

The end of my rein as Rotary Prez

For the past year I have spent quite a bit of time performing my 'volunteer' role as president of the local Rotary Club.(at this point I can't recall actually volunteering, much less why).  It can be a fun and rewarding job, but also a tiring, frustrating and an extremely time-consuming one. Rotary is a great organization and there are outstanding people involved with it, but it's an entirely volunteer orgnization so I learned alot about how to organize and motivate people without the benefit of financial incentives. Service Above Self, people.

I think it was a pretty good year for our club but I was happy to hand the reins over to Art Forbes. My stepping down isn't related to our move - one can only serve as president of a Rotary club for one year, which I completed as of June 30.  I'm sure Toni and the kids are even more happy as a seemingly endless schedule of meetings, events, community projects and other commitments comes to an end. (Toni also stepped down from her leadership role in a non-profit group, relieving herself of her role as president of the local Aids Awareness Foundation, another group that has done great things in our community. Alas, we no longer reside at the Residence of the Presidents, which our friends had dubbed it).

As for me, I will stay plugged into Rotary, and will seek out my Rotary brethren in Aix as there is a club there. I may have to build a little more confidence in my French skills first, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment